College of Education Graduate Program Admissions Checklist
Specific Department Requirements/Descriptions for the Career Goal Statement
Prepare a career goal statement to include a self-evaluation. We are particularly interested in your level of self-awareness, academic potential, personal growth experiences, your interpersonal skills, why you have decided to become a counselor, and what you hope to do with your counseling degree. It may address any volunteer work in the human services field.
Demonstrate professional dispositions through the development of a personal goal statement (minimum 2 - page, double-spaced, word-processed). Please describe why you have applied to your respective program and want to be a professional educator. Please be sure to include personal and professional information that supports this decision. Your statement should be at least two pages in length, double spaced. Make sure to include your name and the program you are applying to in your goal statement.
Leadership, Research and Foundations (All programs)
Upload your career goal statement into the online application and include responses to the following prompts. Please limit your narrative to 1500 words. Make sure to include your name and the program you are applying to in your goal statement.
- What are your reasons for applying to this program?
- What are your professional career goals?
- How does this program align with your goals?
- In what ways have your life experiences, work, and volunteer activities prepared you for a career in leadership?
- What do you bring to the program that will benefit your student colleagues?
- What personal strengths will enhance your ability to be successful in this program?
- What factors might limit your ability to complete this program?
- What other factors do you believe are important for consideration in evaluating your application?
In your career goal statement, please share some of your reasons for choosing teaching as a career. Please also tell something of your personal background and your motivation for teaching. Your statement should be 2 – 3 pages in length.
- What motivates you toward a career in teaching?
- What specific events of experiences in your life have led you to want to become a special education teacher?
- Describe the thought process that helped you make the decision to apply to this program.
- What assets do you bring to the field of special education?